8.11.2010

Chocolate Caramel Shortbread

{aka, Tressa O'Brien's home made Twix bars}
I could just eat these all day- but I wont. I must refrain. The force is strong with this one. You like my Star Wars reference there? 
Ingredients:
1/2 cup butter
1 cup all purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
7 oz (200 g) semisweet chocolate chips
Caramel:
3/4 cup butter
1/2 cup sugar
3 tablespoons dark corn syrup
14 oz (400 g) sweetened condensed milk

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F, grease the bottom of a 9 inch square cake pan. Place the butter, flour and sugar in a medium bowl and mix with a fork until the mixture starts to combine. Press into pan and level the top. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
For the caramel, place the butter, sugar, corn syrup, and condensed milk in a heavy bottom pan. Heat gently until the sugar melts. Bring to a boil then reduce the heat and let simmer for 6-8 minutes, stirring constantly (I learned the hard way) until very thick and the color has darkened. Pour over the shortbread and let chill in the refrigerator for 2 hours or until firm.
Melt the chocolate chips (I used the microwave) and spread over the caramel. Let chill again for another two hours (or to speed it up, stick it in the freezer for about 10 minutes). Makes 12.
recipe from my new cookbook:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin it!